Bartinney is situated on the hellish high slopes of Helshoogte Pass and overlooks the picturesque Banghoek Valley in Stellenbosch. Passionately involved husband and wife team, Michael and Rose Jordaan, repurchased the 40 ha family farm in 2006 with a vision to create excellent wines and reawaken the charm of the beautiful property. The newly renovated boutique cellar now produces Sauvignon blanc and Chardonnay from low yielding vineyards positioned on cooler elevated slopes. Cabernet Sauvignon is planted in deep red soils on the slightly lower foothills and the 2009 vintage is up for release early 2011.
Bartinney was formally established in 1920 by a Harrods director who decided to spend the rest of his life in what he described as the most beautiful valley on earth. The 1923 Manor House uniquely blends English Tudor and Cape Dutch styles and features a sixteenth century Elizabethan carved beam of black oak, an Elizabethan wrought-iron fireback dated 1653, as well as Spanish leatherwork and Delft tiles originating from the Cape Castle. In 1954 the property was acquired by Dr Michael Jordaan and the current generation is the fourth to farm the property.
Bartinney is situated on a mountain overlooking the beautiful Banghoek Valley in Stellenbosch. The 3 main cultivars planted here are Sauvignon blanc (3.23ha ), Chardonnay (2.96ha) and Cabernet Sauvignon (12.5ha). The white cultivars are planted on the higher north and north east facing slopes while the red grows on the slightly lower foothills on a variety of aspects. High altitude viticulture with elevations up to 550m above sea level combined with extreme slopes (up to 45%) requires us to tend to our vines by hand. Soils consist mostly of high potential deep red, well drained soils on the mid slopes. Red, stony soils are found on the higher slopes.
When the Jordaan family declared Bartinney their new permanent home in April 2008, energetic Rose Jordaan made tree planting her mission. More than 5000 trees and fynbos, indigenous to the area, have been re-established on thirteen hectares of rehabilitated land from what was previously a pine and gum plantation. A hectare of blushing brides have been planted on a prepared east facing incline. Plans for a nursery to help restore and protect neglected slopes on the farm are on the cards. We also received our Champion status in the Biodiversity and Wine Initiative (BWI) in September 2010.